Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Take Your Headphones Out!



Why should people not be able to wear their iPod's. Democratic Senator Carl Kruger wants to stop people from wearing their iPod's while they are crossing the street. I don't understand who Kruger is protecting. The death of a woman who was wearing the headphones was cited in the senators defense. The problem with this is that if a woman or man wants to wear headphones and put their lives at risk than let them do it! The purpose of the government is not to create laws that protect people from themselves. If this is the norm than why not keep people from using matches you might get burned, keep people from walking with scissors you might get cut, and take all knives out of houses you might get stabbed, somebody might get hurt.

"If you're so involved in your electronic device that you can't see or hear a car coming, this is indicative of a larger problem that requires some sort of enforcement beyond the application of common sense" Said Kruger. People are not paying attention to what they are doing because they cannot hear? We have people that cannot see or hear walking around all of the time, just the other day I saw a visually impaired man walking down the street, his excuse for this law is not viable, common sense is something that people need to acquire and nothing more and nothing needs to be enforced by the government.

No iPod's, hand held video games or anything that can cause a distraction while crossing the street. Again if people want to risk their lives to listen to thirty seconds more of music than let them. I have an iPod and I listen while I ride my bike and I wouldn't want to take my headphones out every time I have to cross the street, I will just look around to see if there are any cars coming.

Our senators and members of our government have to be responsible for keeping us safe and preserving our freedom, not for taking it away.

Information from this story was provided by Fox News.com

Click here For The Full Story
Click Here For More iPod Information
Click Here For A Video On The History of The iPod

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have noise reduction headphones that almost mute my surroundings. I walk around with them, but I also am extra careful. Banning mp3 players on roads is purposeless, just as making it illegal to commit suicide is purposeless. We'd have to ban cell phones, headsets, earmuffs when it's cold, conversations, or anything with noise.